If you represent yourself you are still required to be competent in the law, legal procedures and courtroom procedures. You will have to file all the necessary paperwork and fill out the forms that are required.
Hiring a Lawyer
- Hiring a lawyer is a personal decision. It is important that you obtain a lawyer whom you feel comfortable with and who can best represent your needs. The St. Joseph Bar Association has a Legal Referral Service that can be a helpful source of information when trying to find a lawyer that is right for you. Information on this service is available on this site.
- The Lawyer Referral Service can also be reached by phone: 574. 235.9657.
- Those who are indigent or without adequate means to procure a lawyer may qualify for pro bono representation through District 2 Pro Bono Legal Services.
- Another service available to those who are indigent or without adequate means is the University of Notre Dame Law School Legal Aid Clinic.
- 725 Howard Street
South Bend IN 46617
- Indiana Legal Services South Bend Office is also a service that is available to those who are indigent or without adequate means.
- The Commerce Center
401 East Colfax Avenue
South Bend, IN 46617