The Lawyer Referral Program of the St. Joseph County Bar Association (SJCBA) helps put people in touch with attorneys who can help them.
For a $25 fee, we will direct you to an attorney who can advise you. If you like, we’ll even make you an appointment. Once you get a referral through SJCBA, you will get a half-hour consultation with the attorney for no additional cost. After this initial consultation, you must pay any retainer or fees required by the attorney for additional services.
When you inquire about a referral, you will need to explain the area of law in which you need assistance or the circumstances that have led you to seek the advice of an attorney. Once you do this, Dianna, our lawyer referral specialist, or one of the members of our staff will direct you to an attorney who can offer assistance.
Members of the Lawyer Referral Program are attorneys in good standing with the SJCBA who practice in the following areas:
- Administrative Law
- Business Law
- Criminal Law
- Construction Law
- Employment and Labor Law
- Estate Planning and Administration
- Family Law
- General Practice
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property
- Municipal Law
- Real Estate Law
If you are in need of a lawyer referral, you can fill out the form linked to below or call us at (574) 235-9657. Our hours are 9-12, Monday-Friday.
Legal Help in Other Parts of Michiana
- Goshen City Bar Association and Lawyer Referral
- Elkhart Public Defenders Office
- Goshen Public Defenders Office
- Michigan Lawyer Referral
(888) 454-9554 Toll Free
Located in Grand Rapids, Michigan and making lawyer referrals for the State of Michigan
- Allen County Bar Association Lawyer Referral Program
- Lake County Clerk's Office
- Marshall County Clerk's Office
Legal Programs Offering Free Assistance
To qualify for free (pro bono) legal services, you must fall within certain income guideline specifications. On certain occasions, one may qualify with income guidelines but not be able to be represented on account of a conflict of interest or an overload of cases. The staff at the legal aid offices will let you know when you call if you qualify.
- Northern Indiana Legal Aid
- Notre Dame Legal Aid
- Elkhart County Legal Aid
- LaPorte County Legal Aid
- Volunteer Lawyer Network
Other Frequently Requested Numbers
- Attorney Disciplinary Commission
(317) 232-1807 (also see below)
- To complain or file a grievance about a St. Joseph County attorney, contact Eric Diamond at (574) 232-6918.
- Civil Division - St. Joseph County Police Department
- Indiana State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Indiana Civil Liberties Union
- Indiana Attorney General Protest Line
Please remember that neither the Executive Director nor any member of LRS staff are attorneys, they are referral specialists. They cannot offer legal advice.
To complete a request for a Lawyer Referral, please click here.